Measuring Matter

Answer the following question in complete sentences before Friday, October 1, 2010.

What can you infer about the density of a material if a sample of it floats in water?

83 Responses to “Measuring Matter”

1.   sal m Says:

You can infer about the desity if an object floats in water is that the object you put in the water has a less density of water. Water has a density of one and an object with a lower density is will float. Thats what you can infe if an object floats in water about density.

2.   EBaker Says:

If I put a sample of a material in water and it floats I can assume that it is not as dense as the water, so its density must be 0.9 or less because the density of water is 1.0 and if it was 1.0 or more it would sink. So from putting my material in the water I can assume that the water is denser and the samples density is under 0.9.

3.   PMcKenna Says:

There is one reason how you can infer what the density is like if the material floats in water. Water’s density is 1.0 grams. Anything that is less then 1.0 will float in water because the density is less. So, now we know that the material in the water’s density is less then 1.0.

4.   Zachary Stevenson Says:

The way you can tell between the density is that if it floats its less dense then water and if it sinks it is more dense.

5.   kpalomino Says:

You can infer if a suubstance floats in pure water it is less than 1.0 g/cm3. You can infer this because water has a density of 1.0 g/cm3 and if an object has a lower density than water it will float. This also works for sinking, if your object sinks in water it has a higher density than 1.0 g/cm3. The object in the water has a density of 1.0g/cm3 or lower. In conclusion the higher the density than an object it sinks in water and the lower density than water it will float.

6.   kennedy Says:

If an object floats in water, than we can infer two things. This means that the object is less dense than water, if it floats. It also tells us that the object is less than 1.00g/cm3 density because water is 1.00g/cm3 density.

7.   David T Says:

I can infer that the density is less than 1g/cm3. Water has a density of 1g/cm3. If I put a sample of a material and it floated in water that means it is less dense than the water. You can also use this method for something that is more dense than water. If it’s more dense, it would sink. That’s what I can infer about the density of an object if it floated in water.

8.   Sg97 Says:

If an object floats in water, it is less dense than the water. The density of water changes depending on the temperature, but it is about 1g/cm3 at 4 degrees Celsius. So, if an object floats in water, it’s density is less than 1g/cm3. If said object sinks in water, than it’s density is greater than 1g/cm3.

9.   Matthew Cenophat Says:

The density of water is 1.0 g/cm3. In order for something to sink, its density must be greater than 1.0 g/cm3, and for it to sink it must be less than. So, if something in the water floats, its density is lesser than water’s 1.0g/cm3.

10.   JoshW Says:

If we put a sample in the water and it floats, I can infer that it is less dense than water. Water has a density of 1g/cm3, when it is less than 1g/cm3 density it will float but over that it will sink. A log will float in water because it is less dense than water. You can cut wood into pieces and it will still float. A small chuck of wood and a whole log will both float. Iron is denser than water so it will sink to the bottom. If u cut the iron into pieces it will sink still because iron is denser than water.

11.   Brian Says:

You can infer about thedensity of the material is that it is lees then 1 gram because anything higher than 1 gram it will sink to the bottom. If the density of the materil is heavier than the cup of water it will sink either way but if the density of the material is lighter than the water it will float. that’s what you can infer about the material.

12.   Audra C Says:

If you were to put a material in water and floats you could infer that the density of that material is less 1.00 g/cm3. This is because the density of water is 1.00 g/cm3. If the object is more dense than ater than it will sink. Such as gold; its density is 19.32g/cm3. Since its density is greater than one 1.00g/cm3 you can infer that it will sink and not float. If a material floats when placed in water than its density if less than water.

13.   KSmith Says:

If an object floats in water you can infer two different things about that object. The first thing that you can infer is that the object clearly has a lower density than the water. Another thing is that waters density is 1.0g/cm3. So, if the object floats then the object’s density is lower than 1.0. If a density is higher than 1.0 the object will then sink to the bottom of the body of water.

14.   AichaC. Says:

Based on the accuastation that the sample floats, I can infer that the object has a density that is less than 1g/cm3. I know this because water has a density of 1g/cm3. This means that if the object were to float, it has a lesser density than the water. As apposed to if it sank, I would know that it had a Higher density than the water content. This is how I can infer wheather or not an object has a higher or lesser density than the liquid that it is being placed in.

15.   Drew L. Says:

What I can infer about the density of any object when it floats in water is that the object has a density lower then 1.00 g/cm3. Now the density of water is 1gm/cm3 meaning that when you place any object for example wood in water, that object must float because since the density of water is higher, the object will just lie on top of the water like a boat. This is true because whatever object is most dense it usually sinks to the bottom of a glass or beaker. The opposite relationship would be if I were to put something over the density of water like iron, into it, the iron would sink. So in the end any solid that has a density lower then water that’s put into it will float above it. That is what I can infer about density in other objects.

16.   gmorea Says:

If i put a sample of material and it floats in the water i can infer that the density of the material would be less than the water. Waters density is 1.0g/cm3. If the density was less like the material would be it would just float. And if it was more than that it would sink completely to the bottom.

17.   JessicaT Says:

If a sample of a material floats on water, you can infer that it is less dense than water. The density of a sample and the object it was taken from is the same. If pure water has a density of 1.0 g/cm3, the object and/or sample must have a density >1.0 g/cm3. Anything over that will sink to the bottom because it is more dense.

18.   dmartinez Says:

I can infer that the object has a lower density than water because water’s density is 1.0g and anything with a higher density would sink. I have seen this in my own experience when enjoying a glass of coca cola classic. I put ice in my glass and the ice floats therefore the ice has lower density than the coca cola classic.

19.   LauraRodriguez Says:

If you put something in water and it floats that means the object you put in there is less dense then the water. On the other hand if it floats its more dense.
    Such as ice and water . The ice would float because its less dense. But if you put a coin it will sink because it is more dense then the water.

20.   Alicia D Says:

what i can infer about the density of a material if a sample of it floats in water is that the density of it is lower then the density of the water.

21.   Alicia D Says:

what i can infer about the density of a material if a sample of it flaots is that the density of it is less then the density of the water

22.   Chris Condron Says:

What I can infer about the material is that it is lesserthan the density of water. If the material floats it has to be less than the density of water which is 1.0 so lets say its 0.9 or 0.8 then we will know the density. Doing this is one way to checking the density of a material.

23.   t volkers Says:

if the material floats in water the density is lower than the density of water which would have to be lower than 1.00

24.   CCerrato10 Says:

i can infer that the materials sample density is that it is higher than 1.0 because a waters density is below 1.0.

25.   monsyr Says:

What i can infer if the object floats is that the density is under 1 g/mL. I think this because object with the density higher than 1 g/mL usually sink.

26.   a Says:

i can infer that the sample density is less than 1 because water density is below 1.0

27.   a Says:

You can tell that the sample density is less than 1 because a water density is less than 1.0

28.   IBecker Says:

I can infer about the density of a material if a sample of it floats in water is that because the density is lower than water. The water is less dense than 1.0.

29.   kmitchell Says:

if the density of the material floats you could infer that the material is lower then 1

30.   bobjohnnypami Says:

if a sample of a material floats in water than it is less dense than water with means its density is less than 1

31.   Sage W Says:

If a sample of material foats in water you can infer that the material is less dens ethen water.

32.   yguerrero Says:

If a material is floating then I can infer that the density is lower than the waters density. The density of water is one gram so if the density is lower than one gram than the material will float. If the material’s density is higher than the material will sink.